Thursday, June 21, 2012

Alexander: Nickname-Rich Name of the Week (June 21)

He's another classic name that's familiar to most Americans: Alexander. A reliable if a bit ordinary choice for a boy, there are also several nickname options. Of course there's Alex, but if you want to be a bit more creative there's Alec, Xander, Zander, and the like. If androgyny is not a problem for you there's the Russian Sasha, as well as Aly (which Abby at Appellation Mountain calls her son) and its homophones. Do you like any of these nicknames, or any other ideas I haven't mentioned? What are your general thoughts on Alexander?

4 comments:

  1. I like Alexander a lot, but mostly because I love Alex. (I like Alex/Alix on a girl, too - the androgyny doesn't bother me at all). I've heard Lex for Alexander as well, and I suppose if you wanted to get creative you could use Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the most obvious, Alex and Alec the best. I used to feel Alec was too similar to Alex to bother with, but I'm coming around to it. Of all the Alexander nicknames, Alec is the one I would like best as a given name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely go with Scottish Alec, although I really prefer Alistair to Alexander.

    Another one is Sandor, said SHAHN-dor. It's quite exotic.

    I don't think I could pull off Sasha on a boy, but Ally or Ali would be very wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally don't like Alexander at all, find it way too plain and overused. If I had to choose a nickname, it would be Sasha.

    ReplyDelete